10 unpopular music opinions

Unpopular opinions: everyone has them, but I usually tend to keep mine to myself for the pretty self-explanatory fact that they are unpopular. But there’s nothing wrong with having a different opinion to everyone else, and it certainly doesn’t make your opinion any less valid just because the majority of people don’t share it. That’s what makes us unique; the fact that we all have different interests, personalities and preferences. As long as you respect other people’s opinions even when they are different to your own, there’s no harm in agreeing to disagree.

So today I decided to share with you some of my ‘unpopular opinions’ about music. I put that phrase in inverted commas because maybe some people will agree with me, but from my point of view these are things that go against the ‘norm’ of what most people think. This is just a bit of fun, and I am not intending on offending anyone with these opinions! So please take them with a pinch of salt if you disagree, I’m simply expressing some opinions that I usually don’t get to because of the backlash I’d receive!

1. Most music in the charts at the moment is rubbish.

I’m sure I’ve said this before, but honestly most of the music on the radio nowadays sounds exactly the same. So many songs are just repetitive, with annoying music in the background and sound the same as 50 other songs I’ve already heard about five times on the same day. It’s boring. There are so many amazing artists out there who don’t get enough recognition and yet the radio seems to play the same few songs all day. Yes, they’re catchy and I could probably stand them if I didn’t hear them every single time I get in the car and turn the radio on. Rant over.

2. I don’t understand the Beyoncé hype.

I’m gonna get slated for this one! I’m just gonna start by saying I don’t, in any way, hate Beyoncé. I just don’t get why everyone worships her. Yes, her music is good. She’s an empowering woman, but I just think everything she does is hyped up so much when other artists don’t get as much credit? Do you get what I mean? I’m not even that much of a fan of her newer music, it’s just… meh. It doesn’t do anything for me. I wouldn’t choose to listen to it. She does something and it’s like OMG BEYONCE BREATHED WHAT A QUEEN. Yet if another celeb did it, it’d just be like yeah okay cool. I don’t have anything against her, I just don’t kiss the ground she walks on like the rest of the world seems to do.

3. I love Taylor Swift.

From not being a fan of someone everyone seems to worship to adoring someone who everyone seems to despise. The exact opposite of Beyoncé, Taylor seems to get slated for everything she does. I have loved Taylor for almost 10 years and she has always been an inspiration to me. She’s truly a wonderful person but most people can’t see past the awful picture the media paints of her to who she really is and it’s sad. I’m not going to rant on about why Taylor is so amazing here as I could go on for hours about why the way she’s treated is unfair, but I wrote it all down in this post, so check that out if you wanna read more.

4. I’d rather spend my money on concert tickets than makeup.

Every time I see perfect Instagram photos of someone’s huge makeup collection I just think to myself ‘imagine how many concerts you could’ve gone to with that money’. I’m not even kidding. I’m not a massive makeup lover; I don’t see the point in spending tons of money on makeup when you could buy cheaper stuff that looks just as good? I’m not bashing anyone who buys expensive makeup at all, you do whatever makes you happy, but for me that doesn’t make sense. I love concerts so much, they’re like my second home and for me they’re the most amazing experience so I would so much rather spend my money on that than what usual people my age would spend it on. That’s just me.

5. I’ll never like Justin Bieber.

This sounds so harsh, but Justin just doesn’t seem to ever do anything to redeem himself for me. Everyone seems to suddenly love him since he ‘grew up’ and started making better music, but not me. I just think he’s so rude to his fans. There’s many examples I won’t go into right now where he’s been downright vile to them. That’s not a way to treat the people who spend money on seeing you live, basically giving you the lifestyle you have. I don’t care if you’re tired, or whatever your excuse is, there is absolutely no reason for you to be rude to your fans. Politely say you can’t take a photograph, don’t ignore them and don’t refuse to give them a simple hug. Imagine how crushed you’d feel if someone you looked up to treated you like that. Sorry but until Justin shows me he can be a decent human being and respect his fans, I just can’t like him.

6. Kids nowadays don’t have the same musical delights that we had.

Not sure this is such an unpopular opinion as nobody can deny that noughties music was the ultimate. What do kids jam to at school discos nowadays? They don’t have S Club 7, Barbie Girl and Crazy Frog, poor souls. A time when Bob the Builder was in the charts is a time that I can’t even believe existed, but it did. And I am so glad that I grew up in the noughties when cheesy music was cool. Ah, how times have changed. Such nostalgia.

7. I prefer CDs to downloads.

I’m sure you’ll already know this if you read my post a few weeks ago, but if not you can read it here. I don’t have that much more to say about this one, but I much prefer to hold music physically in my hands than downloading it.

8. I hate rapping.

Just how is talking over the top of music even classed as a song? I don’t understand it. I can’t bear listening to it. All these rappers sound EXACTLY THE SAME. And all their songs sound the same. I get it, rapping is an expression just like singing and poetry are. But to me it just sounds like noise. I hate when a really good song is ruined because it features a verse by a rapper. Just keep the singing, please.

9. Songs with meaningful lyrics are so much better.

As I’ve already touched on, so many songs at the moment are just repetitive meaningless lyrics over and over again. Like, the whole song. I understand it if you want a catchy tune to dance to in the club, but to listen to on a day to day basis? No thanks. Songs which make me feel something are what I enjoy the most. To me, music is like poetry. It is an expression of inner feelings and makes people feel happy or sad or nostalgic or whatever you want them to feel. The thing that captures me the most about a song is the lyrics, and if they don’t mean anything then I’m just not really going to be a fan. Of course, there are some exceptions, but mostly if a song has a meaning then I’m gonna love it even more.

10. We shouldn’t have ‘guilty pleasures’.

Nothing annoys me more than when people describe a certain artist or type of music as their ‘guilty pleasure’. You should never be ashamed of what you enjoy listening to! Who cares if people tell you it’s lame, you like it you should be proud of it! Everyone knows I’m a massive One Direction fan. I used to get embarrassed to tell people about it because I used to get teased and made fun of for being ‘too old’ to love them. But now? I couldn’t care less what you think. I love One Direction and I’d scream it from the rooftops if I had to. I have no shame about the kind of music I love, it’s my choice, it makes me happy so why should I feel ashamed? Nobody makes the rules about what music it’s acceptable to like. If you like it, embrace it and don’t be afraid to say you know what, I love this artist and I don’t feel an ounce of guilt about it.

I had so much fun with this post, it feels good to be able to express your opinions without being scared that somebody’s going to start an argument because they disagree. Of course, not everyone shares these opinions, that’s exactly why I’ve called them ‘unpopular’. But I just had a bit of fun with these and it’s actually so liberating to be able to say what you think!

So, what do you think about my unpopular opinions? Are there any you agree or disagree with? I’d love to know your thoughts in the comments!

Once again thank you so much for reading, x

Comments

  1. I agree with you on a lot of these, I would definitely rather spend money on a gig than make up! You have such a lovely little blog here, you should be so proud of all your hard work! x

    adelelydia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, glad you agree! Thank you so much, it means a lot! x

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts