We need to talk about Taylor Swift
Before I start I just want to say thank you so much for over 60 followers on Bloglovin’! I know it doesn’t seem like much compared to all those blogs with hundreds, even thousands of followers but I haven’t been doing this for as long as them, and the thought that people like my little blog enough to want to follow me and read what I have to say makes me so happy. I appreciate every single one of you who has ever read even one of my posts!
Okay, soppy moment over. I’m sure you’ve seen on social media recently all the ‘hate’ that Taylor Swift has been getting. In fact, I’ve been seeing it a lot even before all this Kim and Kanye drama started recently. What is it about Taylor Swift that so many people don’t like and feel the need to ridicule? I have loved Taylor for about 8 years, and during that time I have never stopped supporting her. I’m going to try my best not to turn this post into one huge rant, but I do hope that I can change some minds about Taylor and make people see that maybe she deserves some credit for the amazing things she’s done.
- Firstly, everyone on social media, especially twitter, preaches about feminism. I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with that, but when it comes to certain things it seems like there are some double standards going on. People bang on about women having the right to be recognised and have their own opinions that aren’t dictated by a male-dominated world, then go and tear Taylor down for standing up for herself. This angers me so much and is so hypocritical in my opinion. Does it not count just because she’s a celebrity? I’ve seen people insulting her for complaining about Kanye’s lyric that caused so much controversy, saying ‘it’s not that bad’… I’m not going to repeat the lyric here because I’m sure you know it and I personally would be disgusted if anyone wrote that about me. She has every right to stand up for herself just like any normal woman and I don’t understand why people are complaining when she does this.
- The ‘she only writes songs about her exes’ card seems to be pulled EVERY. SINGLE. TIME anyone is making a case against Taylor. Even when it isn’t relevant. To be honest, the jokes aren’t funny or clever any more. They’re getting old and you need to stop. Who doesn’t write about their own experiences? As a creative writer myself I know that’s what we write best about. I wrote my entire dissertation, 303 lines of poetry, influenced by my own life experiences and my lecturers always told me that having an insight into something helps your writing be more authentic and real. Even if you have a problem with Taylor writing about her exes, at least it’s better than most of the rubbish in the charts at the moment. True emotions and feelings that you know are genuine are so much better than all that rave junk that has about three words repeated over and over an irritating tune for three minutes in my opinion.
- If this still isn’t a convincing enough argument for you, there are many examples of Taylor Swift songs that AREN’T about her exes. Here are just a few examples:
o The Best Day – one of my favourite Taylor songs ever which always makes me cry, it’s about her family particularly her mother supporting her through everything and teaching her all she needed to know about life and growing up.
o Never Grow Up – I talked about my love for this song in my post about songs that mean the most to me, as you can tell by the title it’s got a similar theme of growing up and making the most of your childhood.
o Change – another of my favourite songs ever, it’s about not giving up when things get tough because they will always get better.
o Long Live – wow, so many of the songs that AREN’T about Taylor’s exes are my favourites. Interesting, huh? This song is so inspirational and gives me goosebumps, it basically says that no matter where you come from or who you are, you can do amazing things.
o The Lucky One – this song is also an emotional one and deals with the theme of fame and how young stars cope with it. It really is deep and thought-provoking, giving you a bit of an insight into the crazy world of being famous when you’re young.
o Mean – this song is very relevant to this post, it’s about dealing with people who are bullies and how being so mean and degrading people will never get them anywhere.
o SuperStar – I relate to this song so much in a cringeworthy way. It’s about being in love with a celebrity even though they’ll never know who you are and it’s kind of sad in a way really.
- Taylor is a good person, despite what the media says. All you see plastered everywhere is drama and scandal, they want something that will sell. Taylor does so much charity work and helps so many people and it rarely gets written about, and even if it does, nobody seems to care. Just within the last week, she gave millions of dollars to aid the people of Louisiana whose homes have been flooded and destroyed. She also donated a lot of money to Kesha to help her try to get out of her contract with Dr Luke which I’m sure you know all about. There are countless charities that she’s supported and donated to, yet this doesn’t get talked about nearly as much as all the things she’s done ‘wrong’. It’s disappointing really.
- She also treats her fans SO WELL. (unlike some people I know… cough cough Justin Bieber cough). She’s surprised fans at their houses, taken them backstage, just generally been a sweetheart to them. At every show on her tour she sends some of her crew around to pick out people from the audience and give them an invitation to hang out with her backstage after the show. I mean, ultimate goals or what? She’s also been known to buy pizza for all her fans waiting outside radio stations for her, and honestly I think she’s one of the celebrities who is the nicest, most caring and thankful to her fans.
- Finally, everybody makes mistakes. It would be unrealistic to say I think she’s perfect, she’s only human like you and me after all. But as she says herself, making mistakes doesn’t make you any less of a person. (Please look up her ‘Clean’ speech and watch some of the videos because it’s beautiful) Maybe she did give Kanye permission to use her name in a song. Maybe she has had loads of boyfriends who she writes songs about. So what? She has apologised to Kanye before. There’s nothing wrong with having lots of relationships and as I said earlier there’s definitely nothing wrong with using those as inspiration. All celebrities are just like us, they have feelings believe it or not and I think people need to give them a break sometimes. Imagine if you got hate and disrespectful comments every time you made a mistake? You’d get pretty annoyed pretty quickly, to say the least.
This post wasn’t supposed to be a desperate plea begging you to like Taylor Swift, I just hope that I’ve shown you enough evidence that you should cut her some slack. All I wish is that she was respected more and I know that her fans are so loyal to her and give her loads of love, but I just wish she didn’t have as many ‘haters’. I hope that this post has given you some insight into why I love Taylor so much and why maybe before you post that tweet about her slagging her off, you should think twice. One of my favourite Taylor quotes is 'you are not the opinion of someone who doesn't know you'; I love that in the face of all these rude comments she just gets on with it and doesn't dwell on what people say about her, and that sums up why I'll always defend and support her.
Where do you stand on the Taylor drama? Are you a fan, have you ever said anything mean about her? I’d love to know if this post has changed your mind or even just given you something to think about. This has been my most opinionated and possibly controversial post yet so leave some comments below; I’d love to hear what you think!